There are no other words to describe this heavenly vintage coat than to quote Mary Poppins! It was gifted to me from the lovely Alec and Margaux of The Splendid Suitcase as a thank you for interviewing them on the blog last year. On a bright cold day running errands in Brighton it really cheered me up to wear something that feels so elegant and well-fitted! And worn with my recent fur-stole find, which seems to be a match made in wardrobe-heaven! I’m wearing the coat with some of my regular favourites – an eBay vanity case, Topshop boots from a couple of years ago, H&M socks and vintage night dress from Beyond Retro. I’ve noticed this week that my current choices in wardrobe-colouring are almost identical to one of my old school uniforms! Navy, cream, mustard and royal blue all featured in my middle school uniform and PE kit…Funny how I hated wearing it at the time! I’ve also being adapting my Heidi plaits recently, to a more relaxed twisted style, which is so easy, it literally takes two minutes to do! Perfect for when you’re in a rush or you want to quickly pin up hair that is in need of a wash! Divide your hair into two equal parts, and brush to each side (I tie one side into a ponytail to keep it separate whilst I twist the other). Pull some loose strands forward to frame your face and then holding the hair at a right angle to your head, roll the hair forwards. Then simply pin on the top of your head with kirby grips and repeat with the other side. I told you it was easy! Also worth a mention is Joshuas amazing new bargain coat! He’s wearing it with a polo top he found online, a vintage waistcoat and trousers from Topmans Boutique collection. An attempt for a cutesy-couple photo goes a bit wrong…Ew! And because this coat is practically perfect in every way, perhaps that is the reason why I chose to go as Mary Poppins for Halloween! I must admit the original plan had been ‘Scary Poppins’ but as soon as I had the get-up on, I just couldn’t bring myself to ruin it with blood and gore! Worryingly all I had to purchase for my costume was some red ribbon for my bow tie… Therefore I could essentially be Mary Poppins again whenever I please! I’ve also been instagramming my adventures the last few weeks, here are some of my favourites for anyone who doesn’t follow my twitter or instagram.
1. The green velvet dress worn by Scarlett O’Hara in Gone With The Wind, when she is visiting Rhett Butler in Jail. I went to the V&As Hollywood Costume exhibition with Kelly-Marie of ‘A Harem of Peacocks’…and it was AMAZING. Seriously, no words for how good! Unfortunately photography wasn’t permitted within the exhibit so this was a very sneaky little snap!
2. Brighton sea on a stormy afternoon!
3. I recently watched this film, ‘The Beginners’ and really enjoyed it – far more than I anticipated I would!
4. A new glitter-fest nail polish by Models One!
5. Joshua and his recent delivery from a local farm…(I’m definitely going to steal this idea)
6. A Brighton busker who must have gone to extraordinary efforts to get his instrument where it was!
7. Beautiful ceramic jewellery from a boutique on Bond Street, Brighton.
8. A recent eBay find, I love this little Brownie doll!
9. One of the most inspiring fashion books ever…..!
I have a few exciting projects to show you within the coming weeks, and a couple of lovely new finds too!
Thanks for being patient with my sporadic posts – we still haven’t got internet at our flat (boo!)
Hope you’re all very well,
Love Yours Truly, x
- THE SPLENDID SUITCASE